Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Christmas Day in the Caribbean



Christmas eve I gave the chef a recipe for sugar cookies and frosting. We let the kids frost their own cookies and when I got on for myself I could see the consistency was not normal. Turns out they don't have plain old cream cheese so he substituted something that goes in meringue. I'll just say it was super sweet and not a favorite but I'm not much of a frosting person. The kids liked it.

We then had a Christmas caroling program put on by all the cousins. They stood on the back table of the boat and screamed...sang all their favorite chirstmas carols.

Christmas morning we woke to our first stormy weather. We had some rough seas and rain in the afternoon. The captain began moving the boat to Anguilla as we opened presents. I don't think the kids noticed we were moving at all, it was mostly the adults trying to pass out presents and the stewards bringing refreshments trying to maneuver around us. No one got sick so that was a bonus. Then as any normal christmas day the kids ran off with hoards of toys and the adults sat around and tried to decipher instruction manuals of misc. gadgets. Ah, Christmas.

The captain finally found us some calm waters (or the storm finally moved) just in time for Christmas dinner. It was still wet outside so the adults ate a table and the kids had a picnic on the floor, so as not to spill on the WHITE carpet. (I was nervous) The chef appeared to carve the turkey, which was delicious. We had all the standards, turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, sweet potatoes & cranberry sauce. All with a little bit of a french twist. I think maybe the best part of the trip was that after the huge dinner I didn't have to do any dishes!!! I just got to veg out on the couch with everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment